Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Unusual things to reuse

At our house, we refuse and reuse (and unfortunately we can't recycle... But that's for another post I guess). Reusing is a broad aspect and we reuse a lot of objects that would be a bit unusual to reuse for other people. I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with reusing glass jars, or other food containers, and toothbrushes, but there's a lot of items here that are a bit less usual when reusing comes to mind. 

So, here's some things we do: 

•Old tape rolls: these are a great organising tool. I use them to keep my silicone baking paper. 

•Detergent containers: we usually buy bulk containers, for example a 5 litre jug of washing up liquid. The brand we buy has a difficult cap- once it's opened, it won't close properly anymore. So I usually pour that 5 L in a more stable bottle, cut off the top part of the jug, and use the remaining part of the jug as storage containers. We use these "containers" to store various things, like other smaller bottles of cleaners and reusable wipes in the bathroom, freezer bags in the kitchen, etc. 

•Laundry basket: this is probably one of the most unusual things to reuse/upcycle. We used our laundry basket make a grocery stroller out of it! As a consequence, I now procrastinate a bit less with my laundry. Laundry baskets are contributors to procrastinating a lot of the time, because it just sits in that basket and no one notices it anyway. 

•T shirts: I use them as a "tea towel" when making bread or cut in two as a mop. I reuse a lot of clothes anyway to cut out squares of reusable cloths. 

•Lids of old cooking pans: I use them to cover plates of food, so I dont have to transfer them to a food container, and thus save myself a few extra dishes. 

•Food tins: these are used in so many ways, to keep cutlery and tools, to craft materials and even as a measuring cup. 

•Bottles: we dont buy a lot of bottles, mainly oil and vinegar. I have a few bottles of vinegar that I reuse to store ground nuts and sesame seeds. I also freeze homemade broth in bottles. 

•Milk cartons: these are reused to freeze leftover foods. 

•We even reuse components of an old coffee machine! The dipping tray happens to be an excellent way to store our bar of soap, in the kitchen. My husband (the only coffee drinker here) says he doesn't need a coffee machine now anymore, so now he's just brewing coffee the old fashioned way. 

2 comments:

  1. If tissue is not considered non-frugal item: Not very dirty dry used tissues. We use them to wipe the spill on the floor, clean the sink, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever we use paper towel, I tend to reuse them too. It's the safest for me not to use them though, or as minimal as possible anyhow, as I'm tempted to use them way too much! Baarak Allahu feeki for visiting & commenting ❤

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you! Kindly be patient as the comments are moderated.

Finally, I can boil eggs

It's funny how sometimes the seemingly easiest things can be a challenge. This is true in the kitchen as well! I don't consider myse...