Wednesday, September 11, 2024

So many leftovers! And freezer activities...

This week I didn't post a weekly menu in retrospect, as it was a bit chaotic and not really that interesting anyway. 

There were so many leftovers that I was trying to get rid of - not getting rid of in the sense of throwing away, obviously 😆. Both in the fridge and many one person's portions from the freezer. I desperately need more freezer space and all the containers were really just cluttering up the top shelf. I have a tendency to forget small portions of frozen leftovers and I'm trying my best to avoid that from now on. I know that if the said leftover is there too long I usually toss it, even if it still might be edible. That's such a waste and I wanted to put a stop to that. 

I'm nearly done, especially with the fridge leftovers- the fridge looks so much tidier now. The thing is, new leftovers come in place of the other ones... So I'm having leftovers for lunch again today. And I'm pretty sure today's dinner will leave us with some leftovers as well. Sometimes it feels like a never-ending story, but then again I love having a warm lunch with leftovers, so I guess it's just a love-hate relationship. 

Another thing that was taking up space in the freezer were bones - a big bag of chicken bones, as well as lamb bones. I always save the bones for making bone broth, but the thing is that it takes up quite a lot of space. One bag had to go and I decided to take out the bag with chicken bones first. So yesterday I made a BIG pot of bone broth- when I say big, I mean that there are now 3 1.5L bottles of broth in the freezer, with plenty of broth for the few coming days (probably Another 3L). Fortunately, there was enough space for the bottles in the freezer. Hopefully I'll do the same with the lamb bones soon. That way a LOT of space for other things will be available again. Hopefully I'm finding some cheap summer produce such as bell peppers and courgette to freeze for the winter months. If I don't, that's OK too, it'll just mean that my freezer has space for other things. I can't recall ever having an empty freezer so somehow I'll find something to fill up that space! Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my husband bought nearly all the ice cream the corner shop in front of our house had- they usually stop selling it from October. And it's nice as a treat every so often, so it's worth the freezer space. 

2 comments:

  1. Since I have two small freezers, there space here is precious. I also have three zucchini that I need to do something with, probably shred and then freeze. They will make a nice addition to soup this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought of freezing courgette while shredded. That's a great idea! 💡 I guess it also saves freezer space.

      Delete

I'm happy to hear from you! Kindly be patient as the comments are moderated.

Saving on meat expenses

Most of my readers must have noticed that we're not eating a lot of meat. I was pretty much raised as a vegetarian, so I'm familiar ...