Saturday, August 24, 2024

Recent frugal activities

I've been quite busy lately, which is obvious when you look at the blog. There's just so much to do that blogging is put on the back burner! I think August is one of the busiest times of the year in terms of cooking/ food preparation. And we don't even have a garden (we do grow a few things here and there, but just don't consider it as a "real" garden- as in, a garden which is sufficient to sustain us with most of our homegrown vegetables for the rest of the year). But, even if you buy your produce at the store or at the market, there's a lot of things to be busy with, I guess. 

Here's some things I did lately: 

Since we were almost drowning in tomatoes (no exaggerating- since they're so cheap right now, we bought a lot and also got a lot from neighbours), I made tomato sauce which I canned. And also made slata mechouia (a Tunisian dip/sauce similar to salsa), which I also canned. 

Made broth with chicken scraps, and since there was still some more broth in the freezer, I thawed that broth and let that evaporated until about half of the original quantity was left over, I then poured this into smaller containers (3/4 cup in each container), and froze it for later use. 

Froze aquafaba (chickpea cooking brine) for later use 

Had a lot of leftovers from the freezer, both because I needed that freezer space but also because I didn't want those foods to get too old and getting wasted 

Tried to use up as much nearly-spoiled produce as possible- especially sad looking hot peppers. They were a bit wrinkly, but perfectly edible. 

Did a lot from scratch cooking including baking bread. Not sure if that counts because that's just a usual practice for me. 

Thrifted some clothes for me and my oldest daughter. 

My husband mended some of our clothes. 

Repaired a few things in and around the house. 

Didn't run the AC for many days as the weather is changing a bit. It's still warm, but bearable. On some days we didn't even need a fan. 

And tthe most cost saving thing: we postponed our holiday plans, due to a few unforeseen circumstances. Possibly we'll skip going on vacation altogether this year. Despite it not being because of wanting to be frugal, it sure is a frugal thing not to go on vacation (fortunately, we never book anything beforehand so that wasn't an issue). 

Probably did a few more things that I can't recall because frugality is just daily life for me. But these are the things I could immediately think of. All in all, considering I'm so busy lately I'm pleased with these accomplishments.

2 comments:

  1. Blogging tends to get put on the back burner in the summer time here too as this is such a busy time of the year. Sounds like you had a really good frugal week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely was quite a frugal week! There are many weeks less productive and less frugal so I was quite pleased.

      Delete

I'm happy to hear from you! Kindly be patient as the comments are moderated.

Saving on meat expenses

Most of my readers must have noticed that we're not eating a lot of meat. I was pretty much raised as a vegetarian, so I'm familiar ...