Monday, August 26, 2024

Thrifting is fun!

As mentioned, I recently thrifted some clothes. Thrifting clothes is something we're big on. We try to only buy clothes when needed but if we do need them, we nearly always thrift. Most people here buy their clothes at the 2nd hand store or at the market where there are 2nd hand selling vendors. So it's quite the norm to thrift clothes. Brand new clothes aren't of good quality and for shops like H&M or Zara, you'd have to drive well over three hours- not to mention it's out of budget for many people. Buying and wearing pre loved clothes being socially accepted really does make it more fun in my opinion. Everyone is doing it, so it's not a big deal- I say that because in the past, we were judged because of buying second hand clothes, even though they were still in perfect shape. I don't mind people having opinions, but I just wish people wouldn't be so judgmental at times. 

Anyway, back to the topic. My daughter needed some shirts and pajamas. So she got some of those, and we ended up buying two shirts for me too. Didn't really need them, oh well... My rule for buying clothes that I don't strictly need is that at least it's something I will definitely wear. One shirt I already wore and the other is still in my closet. The funny thing is that the yet--unworn-shirt had the tag still on. I'm not really an expert when it comes to fashion and brands, so I looked up the brand. Apparently, it's quite an expensive one and one brand new shirt of them costs $90 on sale. Brand new and without being on sale, it's probably close to $150. So I'd say it's not bad to find such an item for the equivalent of just $1. Thrift store finds like these definitely make thrifting even more fun to me. 

Just to clarify: I'm not specifically on the lookout for expensive brand clothes when shopping at thrift stores/markets. I just look what fits my size and style. Looking for expensive brands only would be a bit difficult anyway, as I don't really know/remember brand names. I do know a few, but my knowledge is certainly limited. And I'm not really looking to expand that knowledge either as it doesn't really seem interesting to me. But, I must admit that I find it really cool to pay that tiny of an amount for something that expensive! Lol. I think other frugal people can relate to this. If not, I must be just a weird lady 😅

4 comments:

  1. We are thrifters here too. It’s an economical way to fill your wardrobe without breaking the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I can't even image what I would have spent on my entire wardrobe if everything was bought brand new. I honestly I don't even want to think of that 😆

      Delete
  2. I also buy second hand for about 80% of our clothes. Usually not underwear, or swimsuits. My DH is an odd size so a lot of his clothes are new, or altered. I find a lot of deals because of missing buttons and broken zippers. I am not a great seamstress but my mom taught me how to replace a zipper.
    When I shop I go for size first, quality second and then hopefully a color that I like and compliments me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're at least a better seamstress than I am, I can't even do that! Fortunately my husband is quite handy. And for the more difficult things, I have my sister in law who is a professional seamstress.

      I have an odd size too, but somehow I always find what I need. Sometimes not right away and it can take some time, but eventually I always find something my size, and usually even kind of my style. I don't care too much about following fashion trends so that definitely makes it easier.

      Delete

I'm happy to hear from you! Kindly be patient as the comments are moderated.

Saving on meat expenses

Most of my readers must have noticed that we're not eating a lot of meat. I was pretty much raised as a vegetarian, so I'm familiar ...